Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Quick Ten with author Meredith Schorr

In addition to reviewing Meredith Schorr's novel, "A State of Jane", I'm happy to share an interview with Meredith. She is such a fun lady and she loves pop culture, what is not to adore about her?  Thank you, Meredith, for sharing a few minutes of your time. :)



1. What inspired you to write "A State of Jane"?

My inspiration for A State of Jane was my own dating experiences at the time. I kept meeting guys who seemed to be so interested in me and then *poof* they just disappeared out of nowhere.  One guy disappeared in the middle of an email exchange about who was the better landlord on Three's Company, Mr. Furley or Mr. Roper.  Clearly my preference for Mr. Furley offended him because he never called me again!  I had these fantasies of taking revenge on these flakey men, knew I'd never have the nerve and thus a story was born. 

2. Stephanie Cohen or Jane Frank - which one would you be more apt to be best friends with?

Definitely Stephanie Cohen - she's like my twin!  She likes baseball, beer and just hanging out with her friends.  She also might know even more about television trivia from the 70s, 80s and 90s than me!


3. If you could borrow a character from another author, who would it be and what type of story do you have in mind for them?

I'd like to write a dystopian YA novel starring Jessica Darling from Megan McCafferty Sloppy Firsts YA series.  She has to be one of my favorite heroines of all time.  She's incredibly spunky and I can see her kicking some serious butt if she needed to. 

4. Is there a genre that you want to write in?

Besides chicklit, not really aside from the aforementioned dystopian YA novel.  I would like to try to write deeper women's fiction but whenever I make the attempt, my characters do or say something funny and it winds up being chicklit.


5. What are your biggest pet peeves as a writer?

I have several of these:

1. I don't like when a reviewer agrees to read my book and then never does.
2. I am a firm believer in supporting other authors who are in similar stages of their career.  I get a bit upset when I take the time to read and review a fellow author's book (someone who I have engaged with) and she thanks me enthusiastically and yet never returns the love. 
3. I don't like when authors write scathing reviews of other books since, as a writer, they should know how much reviews mean to us. If the book is bad, someone else will write the bad reviews - let them.    
4.  I hate when someone "adds" my book to Goodreads without leaving at least a rating. 
5. I hate when someone gives my book a worse review than a book that I didn't like all that much.

I think I should stop now!

6. What have you read lately and absolutely loved? 
 
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, Haole Wood by Dee Desario, Here by Denise Grover Swank and Finding Lucas by Samantha Stroh Bailey

7. Who are your favorite authors?

Sophie Kinsella, Adena Halpern, Julie Buxbaum, Emily Giffin (although I still have not read Where We Belong...).  Newer, less well-known favorites include Denise Grover Swank, Tallie Roland and Samantha Stroh Bailey.


8. Who is your celebrity crush? 

I have to limit it to one?  *pout* Adam Levine from Maroon 5 and Bradley Cooper are current favorites.


9. What are you working on next?

I just finished my third novel.  It is a chicklit romance about a very popular book reviewer/blogger who is asked to review the debut novel of her high school nemesis, i.e. "the mean girl."  A legal secretary by day, she starts dating a hottie attorney from her law firm who insists that she is hiding behind other people's books because she secretly wants to be a writer herself. 

10.  What needs to be done to fix those Yankees for next season!?! Such a disappointing post season they had this year.

Oh, Michelle, you are killing me! I was this close to moving on!  *Sigh*

Normally, I would say the Yankees need to improve upon their pitching but their pitching was pretty fantastic, even in the post season and without Mariano Rivera.  They need to hit the damn ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And they need to stop stranding players on base.  They need to get rid of A-fraud... 


--------------------
Author Bio:

 A born and bred New Yorker, Meredith Schorr discovered her passion for writing when she began to enjoy drafting work-related emails way more than she was probably supposed to, and was famous among her friends for writing witty birthday cards. After dabbling in children’s stories and blogging her personal experiences, Meredith found her calling writing “real chick lit for real chicks." When Meredith is not hard at work on her current work in progress, she spends her days as a trademark paralegal at a law firm in New York City. Meredith is a loyal New York Yankees fan and an avid runner. She also loves to read and is always on the lookout for her new favorite author. A State of Jane is her second novel.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog - I liked answering these questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Love it! This is the first I've heard of the plot of Book 3, Meredith, and it sounds fab! Do you have a title yet?

    Will have to check out this Sloppy Firsts series - I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Meredith, for the shout out! Yum, Adam Levine. I love the premise of your third book and will be buying it the second it's out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-Fraud! Love it! Book #3 sounds awesome! I haven't read the Sloppy Firsts series either but I will add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the answer to question #1 - looking forward to reading the book!

    ReplyDelete